Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Fried Samosas




The credit to this recipe goes to my husband. He is a foodie and enjoys to cook equally. Most of my recipes are inspired by him. I remember once when I was travelling, I called my husband from the airport and he told me that something special would be waiting for me when i reached home. My imagination ran wild and by the time I reached home, I had imagined everything from life-sized teddy bears to bouquets of roses to diamond pendants. I reached home filled with anticipation and my husband greeted me with these samosas. They were nothing like the things I had imagined but honestly, that was one of the sweetest things he has ever done for me. I was so touched that for a while I didn't even notice the mess my kitchen was in (trust me that means a great deal). It may seem very complicated and time consuming but it takes about an hour from preparations to wolfing down the samosas. Enjoy!

Ingredients for stuffing:
3-4 medium sized potatoes boiled
1 cup green peas boiled
1 medium sized onion chopped
5-6 green chillies chopped
1" piece of ginger grated or 1tsp ginger paste
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp fennel seeds (saunf)
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1 tbsp oil to saute onions
Oil to fry samosas
Salt to taste

Ingredients for dough:
1 cup plain flour/all purpose flour/maida
1/4 tsp salt
2 tbsp oil
1/4 tsp carom seeds (ajwain)
water as required

Preparation:
First mix all ingredients for dough except water. Now add only as much water as needed to make a soft dough. Knead well then cover and keep aside.

For the stuffing, mash potatoes in a bowl and mix boiled peas. Add salt, green chillies and lemon juice, mix well and keep aside. In a pan heat 1tbsp oil, add fennel seeds, turmeric powder, grated ginger/ paste  and chopped onion. Saute for a few minutes. Add the previous mixture into the pan, mix well and remove from heat.

Now take small portions of dough, make balls by rolling them between your palms. Now flatten the dough ball with a rolling pin (approx. 6"-8" round). Cut it into half so that you'll have two semicircles. Take one half and make a cone out of it by overlapping the two ends one on the other. Press the ends so that they don't come off while frying. Now stuff this cone with the above mixture and seal the opening. This way make more cones, fill them and seal. Heat oil in a wok, fry these samosas on medium heat till golden brown. Drain on an absorbent paper. Serve hot with mint dip or ketchup.





2 comments:

  1. I am loving your writing style. Keep it up. Looking fwd to more such delicious posts from you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for taking the time to look at it. Would appreciate any suggestions :)

    ReplyDelete